Guidelines for Acknowledging Support
Successful applicants who receive support from the KU Center for Undergraduate Research should acknowledge support in any publications resulting from the project. The Center recognizes, however, that the form of those acknowledgments may vary depending on the format of the publication or presentation. Please follow the guidelines below for acknowledging Center funding in various situations.
Published Paper or Manuscript
Published works will most likely have a short section for acknowledgments. Within that section, please include the following statement or something similar:
- For research fully-funded by the Center:
- This research was funded by an Undergraduate Research Award from the KU Center for Undergraduate Research.
- For research partially-funded by the Center:
- This research was funded in part by an Undergraduate Research Award from the KU Center for Undergraduate Research.
- If you are presenting your research as a talk, please feel free to state that funding from the Center helped with your research.
- Talk to your mentor about when in the talk it is appropriate to acknowledge those who have contributed to your research either through mentoring, funding, or by providing research materials.
- You might use one of the sentences above (under Published Paper or Manuscript) as a guide for wording.
Space and placement are important considerations when preparing a poster. If you do not have a separate section for acknowledgments, ask your mentor where such an acknowledgment could go that wouldn't seem out of place. Example statement:
Funded by an Undergraduate Research Award from the KU Center for Undergraduate Research.