Before you start, review the student checklist.
- Read all pages of the UGRA website.
- If you're just getting started in research, identify a mentor to guide your project.
- Meet with your mentor to discuss proposal ideas and review deadlines. Make sure your mentor knows that they should expect an email from email@example.com with a link to the reference form after you complete the online application. Show your mentor the "For Mentors" tab on this website to make sure you are both clear about their role in guiding your project. If your mentor is not a faculty member, direct them to fill out our Research Mentor Designation form. If you're not sure if your mentor is a faculty member, just ask them.
- Attend a UGRA information session.
- Write a first draft following the proposal guidelines.
- Use the rubric available online to evaluate and revise your proposal: Research Project Rubric (.doc) or Creative Project Rubric (.doc)
- Ask your mentor to read the draft and suggest revisions (repeat this process). Be sure to provide a copy of the rubric.
- Attend a UGRA proposal workshop. This is a good chance to ask Center staff last minute questions and have someone outside of your discipline read the proposal since reviewers will not likely be in your same field.
- Make final revisions.
- Submit your application>>: fill out the online application form and upload all supporting documents (your proposal, a pdf copy of your Advising Report, and any portfolio documents, if relevant).
- Check with your research mentor to make sure they fill out the mentor reference form. Your mentor will automatically be sent an email with a link to the reference form from firstname.lastname@example.org AFTER you submit your application, so be sure to get your application in early so your mentor has plenty of time to fill out the reference.
Required Application Materials:
- Student Application Materials: due March 26, 2020, 11:59 PM CST.
- UGRA Student Application Form >>: This link will take you to a page on KU's Academicworks website (ku.academicworks.com) where you can apply for an UGRA. Note that any emails coming through this system will come from email@example.com.
- UGRA proposal (saved as a pdf), uploaded via application form; see the "Proposal" page for guidelines.
- A pdf copy of the student's Advising Report that lists the classes you've taken at KU, uploaded via the application form. You can download this through your myKU Portal. Note that you should upload your Advising Report, not your Degree Progress Report. Click here for directions on how to download a pdf of your Advising Report (pdf))...>>
- Mentor Reference: due March 31, 2020, 11:50 PM
- When a student turns in their UGRA application, it will automatically generate an email to their research mentor from firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to the mentor reference form for that application. Mentors cannot fill out a reference form before the student starts their application. Mentors will need to create an account in the Academicworks system in order to complete the reference form. If a mentor would like to know whether their student waived or retained their right to see their reference form, please email us at email@example.com and we can let you know.
- Note: it is the student's responsibility to ensure that the mentor reference form is filled out by the deadline. We recommend that you give your mentor at least 2 weeks notice of the reference form deadline and make sure your mentor knows that the link for the reference will be sent to them once you fill out your application.
Both the Student Application Form and the Mentor Reference must be received in order to be considered for funding. We do not accept late student proposals for the UGRAs. If you experience technical difficulties in filling out your UGRA application online, email your final UGRA proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline; in this case, we can work with you the following day to troubleshoot any technical problems so you can complete your application.
All applicants will be notified about the status of their application after final UGRA funding decisions are made, before the last day of finals.