What is Undergraduate Research?
Students participate in research in various ways, often changing from one model of participation to another at different points in their time at KU. Each department also has different expectations of how undergraduate students will get involved. Below, you'll find just a few of the typical ways that undergraduates participate in research at KU:
Assist on a Faculty-Initiated Project:
Student-Initiated Research Project:
Why Do Undergraduate Research?
Participating in undergraduate research is a great way to enhance your KU education while contributing to your field and developing your professional opportunities. Take the time to familiarize yourself with research and the opportunities available to you!
- Learn to apply what you learn in class to real-world problems and issues.
- Develop strong faculty relationships.
- Improve your creative and problem-solving capabilities.
- Explore potential careers.
- Gain valuable work experience.
- Develop strong references.
- Network with experts in your field.
- Build confidence in your creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Find a way to connect with your KU experience in a more meaningful way.