Resources to help with mentoring:
Use this Mentoring Checklist (.docx) in the first few days when you have a student starting on a research project. You might adjust this document to add more bullets that are specific to your area of research.
Undergraduate Research Contracts
Setting clear expectations with the undergraduate that you are working with at the beginning of the process can help both you and the student get what you want out of the experience. One strategy to accomplish this is to fill out an Undergraduate Research Contract at the beginning of the semester. You can use the following sample contract, or adapt it for your needs. The contract is available in two forms:
- Undergraduate Research Contract: online form: If you fill out this online form, an automatic email with the information will be sent to both you and the student for you to reference throughout the semester. This is the form that is required for students receiving an Undergraduate Research Award.
- Undergraduate Research Contract (.docx): Download this .doc version of the contract, and adapt it as needed.
KU Links Related to Undergraduate Research
- Environment, Health & Safety online trainings: KU's Environment, Health & Safety office offers a variety of safety training through Blackboard.
- Human Subjects training: Link to information about Human Subjects trainings and IRB approval.
- Student Travel Registry: Students conducting research abroad should fill out the Student Travel Registry form through the Office of Study Abroad prior to traveling.
Funding for Undegraduate Research
KU funding sources:
External funding sources:
The Center can assist faculty members interested in applying for external funding for undergraduate research initiatives on campus. Please email us to set up a time to meet. Faculty interested in seeking outside funding for undergraduate research may find the following links helpful:
- KU Office of Research: Assists in locating funding sources and putting together applications.
- National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU): The NSF offers funding for undergraduates to come to KU for intensive summer research experiences through its REU programs; faculty with NSF awards can also apply for supplements to support undergraduate students working on their projects.