Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase
Our Fall event provides students with an opportunity to share their academic research and creative projects with their research mentors, instructors, peers, and families. The general public and all KU undergraduate students are invited to attend, whether you are presenting your projects or are simply wanting to learn more about undergraduate research.
2023 Online Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase
8:00AM Tuesday, December 5th - 5:00PM Thursday, December 7th, 2023
Deadline to register to present:
11:59PM, Wednesday, November 29, 2023
Deadline for presenters to upload their presentation:
11:59PM, Sunday, December 3, 2023
Online Poster Presentation:
- Create your 2-3 minute "elevator pitch" of you describing your work on YouTube and paste the link in the appropriate submission form field.
- Upload a PDF of your poster (must be no more than 10MB in size).
- View the Online Poster Presentation Guide
Online Oral Presentation:
- Create your 10-minute oral presentation narration on YouTube and paste the link on the appropriate submission form field.
- Upload a PDF of your slides or other supporting document. PDF must be no more than 10MB in size.
- View the Online Oral Presentation Guide
Online "Lightning Talk" Presentation:
- Upload your 3-5 minute "lightning talk" to YouTube and paste the link on the appropriate submission form field.
- Upload a PDF of your presentation slides or other supporting document. PDF must be no more than 10MB in size.
- View the Online Lightning Talk Presentation Guide
Example Presentation Rubrics:
Though the Center does not evaluate presentations for the Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase, these rubrics might be helpful for students to use while they are preparing their presentations:
This will be a public event, so presenters should communicate with their mentor about their presentation before they submit it. If students are presenting research that is proprietary, please consult with us about options for presenting your work.
- Write a draft of a title and abstract or artist statement of no more than 250 words describing your research/creative scholarship. The title and abstract will be posted online, so be sure to review them carefully. The KU Writing Center website provides tips for writing abstracts.
- Review your title and abstract with your research mentor and make any suggested revisions.
- Presenter registration deadline is 11:59 PM on Wednesday, November 29, 2023. If you are co-presenting, only one registration should be submitted.
- To register, click on the Fall Research Showcase Registration icon on this webpage.
- Once you register your presentation, an automated email will be sent to the main presenter/registrant and it will include the presentation submission link. An automatic email will also be triggered to the listed research mentor.
The deadline to upload and submit your presentation is 11:59 PM on Sunday, December 3, 2023.
Two Drop-in Presenter Preparation Consultation Sessions Are Scheduled:
1. In-Person Drop-in Consultation Session:
- Tuesday, November 14th from 5-6PM
- Governors Room, Kansas Union
2. Zoom Drop-in Consultation Session:
- Wednesday, November 15th from 4-5PM
- Zoom login: https://kansas.zoom.us/j/92658706193
- Passcode: 771571
- Meeting ID: 926 5870 6193
3. Schedule a consultation appointment:
- Use this booking link to schedule a brief 15-minute consultation: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/UniversityofKansas1520451@ka…
Helpful Resources for Preparing Your Presentation:
Poster Presentation Information:
Oral Presentation Information:
Lightning Talk Information:
Presenting your work for a general audience:
Presentation submission deadline is
11:59PM, Sunday, December 3rd, 2023.
The Center for Undergraduate Research would like to encourage students to read through the presentations that will be posted on the Fall 2023 Undergraduate Research Showcase event website to learn about the great research that their peers are conducting. We'd like to assist instructors who offer class credit for their students to view online student presentations by collecting student feedback and notifying instructors which of their students filled them out.
If you are planning on offering this extra credit option to your students, please email us at email@example.com by Noon on December 1, 2023 to let us know the course number and the name of the class plus the number of students enrolled so we can get your class information onto the submission form that extra credit students will use.
Students are invited to attend the Online Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase in order to get extra credit if their instructor has made arrangements with the Center to offer extra credit. Using their KU login, students will login to complete an online extra credit feedback form. Look through the presentations and decide which four presentations you would like to focus on for your extra credit.
Students getting extra credit for a class for viewing the online Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase presentations will follow these steps:
- Go to the Showcase event website.
- Pick four different online presentations to view; you can give feedback on any type of student presentation.
- Download the MS Word Extra Credit Feedback Form to record your feedback for each presentation.
- Open the online Extra Credit Feedback form to submit your feedback.
- Fill out the online form. You will cut and paste your feedback for each of the four presentations from MS Word Extra Credit Feedback Form into the appropriate field on the submission form. Keep in mind that this feedback may be shared (anonymously) with presenters, so keep your comments constructive!
- Submit extra credit form by 11:59 PM on Sunday, December 10, 2023.
- The online form will be accessible starting at 8:00 AM on December 5th through 11:59 PM on Sunday, December 10th.
Students should complete the extra credit feedback individually (not with other classmates); the work you turn in must be your own and in your own words.
Starting on Monday, December 11th, extra credit submissions will be downloaded and sorted by class. Submissions will be sent to each instructor during finals week.
Please email the Center at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions!