Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase
Our Fall event provides students with an opportunity to share their academic research and creative projects with their research mentors, instructors, peers, and families. The general public and all KU undergraduate students are invited to attend, whether you are presenting your projects or are simply wanting to learn more about undergraduate research.
2023 Online Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase
8:00AM Tuesday, December 5th - 5:00PM Thursday, December 7th
Deadline to register to present:
11:59PM, Wednesday, November 29h
Deadline for presenters to upload their presentation:
11:59PM, Sunday, December 3rd
Online Poster Presentation:
- Create your 2-3 minute "elevator pitch" of you describing your work on YouTube and paste the link in the appropriate submission form field.
- Upload a PDF of your poster (must be no more than 10MB in size).
- View the Online Poster Presentation Guide
Online Oral Presentation:
- Create your 10-minute oral presentation narration on YouTube and paste the link on the appropriate submission form field.
- Upload a PDF of your slides or other supporting document. PDF must be no more than 10MB in size.
- View the Online Oral Presentation Guide
Online "Lightning Talk" Presentation:
- Upload your 3-5 minute "lightning talk" to YouTube and paste the link on the appropriate submission form field.
- Upload a PDF of your presentation slides or other supporting document. PDF must be no more than 10MB in size.
- View the Online Lightning Talk Presentation Guide
Example Presentation Rubrics:
Though the Center does not evaluate presentations for the Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase, these rubrics might be helpful for students to use while they are preparing their presentations:
This will be a public event, so presenters should communicate with their mentor about their presentation before they submit it. If students are presenting research that is proprietary, please consult with us about options for presenting your work.
- Write a draft of a title and abstract or artist statement of no more than 250 words describing your research/creative scholarship. The title and abstract will be posted online, so be sure to review them carefully. The KU Writing Center website provides tips for writing abstracts.
- Review your title and abstract with your research mentor and make any suggested revisions.
- Registration will be due 11:59 PM on Wednesday, November 30, 2022. If you are co-presenting, only one registration should be submitted.
- To register, click on the Fall Research Showcase Registration icon on this webpage.
- Once you register your presentation, an automated email will be sent to the main presenter/registrant and it will include the presentation submission link.
The deadline to upload and submit your presentation is 11:59 PM on Sunday, December 4, 2022.
Showcase Presenters Preparation Information
Starting on November 7th, once presenters are registered, they will be added to the Canvas course, "Presentation Prep for Undergraduate Researchers" within 2 business days of your registration.
Presentation Basics Video
A brief PowerPoint Slide presentation video will be available on Canvas as of November 7th. The slides will provide student presenters basic presentation information on how to prepare their presentation for the online Undergraduate Research Showcase.
Drop-in Consultation for Presentation Preparation
If presenters have questions after reviewing the presentation preparation information on Canvas, there are two drop-in sessions available.
Drop-in Session #1: TBD, 4:00-5:00 PM Central Time
- Register in advance for Session #1:
- <registration link forthcoming>
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting
Drop-in Session #2: TBD, 4:00-5:00 PM Central Time
- Register in advance for Session #2:
- <registration link forthcoming>
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Helpful Resources for Preparing Your Presentation:
Poster Presentation Information:
Oral Presentation Information:
Lightning Talk Information:
Presenting your work for a general audience:
The deadline to upload and submit presentation is 11:59PM, Sunday, December 3rd, 2023.
The Center for Undergraduate Research would like to encourage students to read through the presentations that will be posted on the 2022 Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase website to learn about the great research that their peers are conducting. We'd like to assist instructors who offer class credit for their students to view online student presentations by collecting student feedback and notifying instructors which of their students filled them out.
If you are planning on offering this extra credit option to your students, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org by Noon on December 2, 2022 to let us know the course number and the name of the class plus the number of students enrolled so we can get your class information onto the submission form that extra credit students will use.
Students are invited to attend the Online Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase in order to get extra credit if their instructor has made arrangements with the Center to offer extra credit. Using their KU login, students will login to complete an online extra credit feedback form. Look through the presentations and decide which four presentations you would like to focus on for your extra credit.
Students getting extra credit for a class for viewing the online Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase presentations will follow these steps:
- Go to the Showcase event website.
- Pick four different online presentations to view; you can give feedback on any type of student presentation.
- Download this MS Word Extra Credit Feedback Form 2022 to record your feedback for each presentation.
- Go to this online form to submit your feedback.
- Fill out the online form. You will cut and paste your feedback for each of the four presentations from MS Word Extra Credit Feedback Form 2022 into the appropriate field on the submission form. Keep in mind that this feedback may be shared (anonymously) with presenters, so keep your comments constructive!
- Submit extra credit form by 11:59 PM on Sunday, December 11, 2022.
- The online form will be accessible starting at 8:00 AM on December 6th through 11:59 PM on Sunday, December 11th.
Students should complete the extra credit feedback individually (not with other classmates); the work you turn in must be your own and in your own words.
Starting on Monday, December 12th, extra credit submissions will be downloaded and sorted by class. Submissions will be sent to each instructor during finals week.
Please email the Center at email@example.com if you have questions!