Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase
Our Fall event provides students with an opportunity to share their academic research and creative projects with their research mentors, instructors, peers, and families. The general public and all KU undergraduate students are invited to attend, whether you are presenting your projects or are simply wanting to learn more about undergraduate research.
Fall Showcase Details
2021 Event: Online the week of December 6-December 10, 2021
The deadline to register to present is 11:59 pm, Sunday, 11/28/21
11/30/21 UPDATE: The deadline to upload and submit your presentation has been extended to 11:59 PM on Thursday, December 2, 2021.
Online "Lightning Talk" Presentation:
- Upload your 3-minute "lightning talk" to YouTube and paste the link on the appropriate submission form field.
- Upload a PDF of your presentation slides or other supporting document. PDF must be no more than 10MB in size.
- View the Lightning Talk Presentation Guide (.docx)
Online Oral Presentation:
- Upload your 10-minute oral presentation to YouTube and paste the link on the appropriate submission form field.
- Upload a PDF of your slides or other supporting document. PDF must be no more than 10MB in size.
- View the Online Oral Presentation Guide (.docx)
Online Poster Presentation:
- Upload YouTube video and paste the link of a 2-3-minute "elevator pitch" of you describing your work.
- Upload a PDF of your poster (must be no more than 10MB in size).
- View the Online Poster Presentation Guide (.docx)
Example Presentation Rubrics:
Though the Center does not evaluate presentations for the Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase, these rubrics might be helpful for students to use while they are preparing their presentations:
This will be a public event, so presenters should communicate with their mentor about their presentation before they submit it. If students are presenting research that is proprietary, please consult with us about options for presenting your work.
- Write a draft of a title and abstract or artist statement of no more than 250 words describing your research/creative scholarship. The title and abstract will be posted online, so be sure to review them carefully. The KU Writing Center website provides tips for writing abstracts.
- Review your title and abstract with your research mentor and make any suggested revisions.
- Registration will be due 11:59 PM on Sunday, November 28, 2021. If you are co-presenting, only one registration should be submitted.
- To register, click on the Fall Research Showcase Registration icon on this webpage.
- Once you register your presentation, an automated email will be sent to the main presenter/registrant and it will include the presentation submission link.
The deadline to upload and submit your presentation is 11:59 PM on Wednesday, December 1, 2021.
Drop-in Consultation for Presentation Prep
Monday, November 22, 2021 4:00-5:00 PM Central Time
Undergraduate Researchers: Stop by during this 1-hour Zoom drop-in consultation session if you have any questions about preparing to present for the asynchronous online Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase!
Meeting ID: 937 3965 4711
Click to download: Poster Presentation Workshop PowerPoint Slides
These slides provide student presenters basic poster presentation information and how to prepare their presentation for the online Undergraduate Research Showcase.
Click to download: Oral and "Lightning Talk" Presentation Workshop PowerPoint Slides
These PowerPoint slides will provide information about how to deliver an oral presentation. In addition, the 3-minute "lightning talk" will be covered. The workshop will also include information on how to prepare their presentation for the online Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase. In addition, the workshop will cover how presenters can talk about their research in a way that is accessible to a general audience.
Helpful links for preparing a poster presentation:
Lightning Talk information:
Presenting your work for a general audience:
The deadline to upload and submit your presentation has been extended to 11:59 PM on Thursday, December 2, 2021.
The Center for Undergraduate Research would like to encourage students to read through the presentations that will be posted on the 2021 Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase website to learn about the great research that their peers are conducting. We'd like to assist instructors who offer class credit for their students to view online student presentations by collecting student feedback and notifying instructors which of their students filled them out.
If you are planning on offering this extra credit option to your students, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org 8:00 AM on Monday, November 29, 2021 to let us know the name of the class and the number of students enrolled so we can get your class information onto the submission form that extra credit students will use.
Students are invited to attend the Online Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase in order to get extra credit if their instructor has made arrangements with the Center to offer extra credit. Using their KU login, students will login to complete an online extra credit feedback form. Look through the presentations and decide which four presentations you would like to focus on for your extra credit.
If you will be attending the Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase for extra credit, you do not need to register to attend.
Students getting extra credit for a class for viewing the online Fall Undergraduate Research Showcase presentations will:
- Go to the Showcase website.
- Pick four different online presentations to view; you can give feedback on any type of student presentation.
- Fill out the online form where you will provide your feedback for each of the four presentations. Keep in mind that this feedback may be shared (anonymously) with presenters, so keep your comments constructive!
- Go to this online form to submit your feedback.
- Deadline for submitting an extra credit form is 11:59 PM on Sunday, December 12, 2021.
- The online form will be accessible starting at 8:00 AM on Monday, December 6th through 11:59 PM on Sunday, December 12th.
Students should complete the extra credit feedback individually (not with other classmates); the work you turn in must be your own and in your own words.
Please email the Center at email@example.com if you have questions!