Emerging Scholars Program
The Emerging Scholars Program provides research experiences for low-income students their first year at KU and supports their overall transition to college. Students get paid an hourly wage to work 4-7 hours per week as a research assistant and to participate in professional development workshops.
Application opens: May 17, 2021
Priority Deadline: June 1, 2021
Final Deadline: July 1, 2021
The Emerging Scholars Program provides research experiences for low-income students their first year at KU and supports their overall transition to college. Students are paid $10/hr to work for a faculty member as a research assistant and to participate in professional development sessions. Students are required to have a Federal Work Study award to be eligible for the program, as their wages are paid in part through this award. Emerging Scholars work in departments from all across campus, from history to engineering to the arts. No prior research experience is required, just an interest in research and learning something new!
Emerging Scholars will:
- Work 4-7 hour per week as a research assistant for a professor or research staff member for the fall and spring semesters (August through May). All positions are entry level and do not require previous research experience.
- Attend paid monthly one-on-one meetings with a peer mentor who was in Emerging Scholars their first year at KU. This peer mentor will guide you as you develop as a researcher and as you adjust to life in college.
- Attend paid monthly professional development sessions through the Center for Undergraduate Research.
- To be eligible to apply, you must be a degree-seeking, first year (freshman or transfer) student who is or will be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours) at KU for the Fall 2022 semester. Students apply for this program the summer before they start at KU.
- Accept a $2,000 Federal Work-Study (FWS) Award for the upcoming academic year at KU: If you're not sure whether you've accepted an FWS award, you can check your financial aid in Enroll & Pay. If you would like to add Federal Work-Study to your financial aid package, please email Mandy Annas at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if you are eligible.